Thursday, June 02, 2011

Better Know A Crafter: Mary Walker

Mary is one of our most prolific crafty customers and I can't believe this is her first time on our blog! She is an amazing seamstress--she is always sporting the cutest handmade tops and making us swoon over her fabric choices. (You may have seen her Anna Tunic made from pretty Kokka fabric on our Facebook page.) Her projects are always inspiring. She came in recently with some fantastic scrap applique tea-towels. They are too cute! We'll just be digging through our scraps now...

Mary Walker


1) Tell us how you got to be so crafty.
I began with training in the fine arts--oil painting, etc--and ended up applying the creative process now to fabric. I still paint but I also now quilt, sew, craft, whatever...






2) How did you make your tea towels?
I used to make collages to hang on my wall and this reminds me so much of what I'm doing now with fabric scrap applique. There is also the "drawing" element--using the free motion setting to draw with thread. The tea towels were inspired by Anthropologie towels. I used a French General woven twill for the towel fabric.



 

Even the backs of these towels are fantastic!


3) How did you learn to sew?
My mother mostly taught me to sew. When I was 10, she sent my sister and I to the neighborhood sewing lady for lessons. I made a tennis dress and sewed a lot of clothes through the years. My mother made a lot of our formal dresses, three girls, for proms and even a few in college.

4) What is your favorite animal?
I love all animals but I'm partial to pups!

Thanks Mary! Happy stitching!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

your line is so delicate. reminds me of etching. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

LOVE the tea towels, Mary!! :) I was just talking with a friend about making kitchen towels today...I'm going to point her this way for inspiration. :)